Wednesday, December 1, 2021

The Holiday Horse

 

It begins soon, and I don't expect it to be as intense this year because Christmas and New Year's Eve/Day fall on weekends.  It is the horse trading that needs to be done to make sure every shift at the television station is covered.  We might lose newscasts due to sports and special programming, but there are still people at the office and on the road in case something happens.

There is usually what I call "horse trading" going on.  There is some of "I'll work this shift if you take that one."  It also involves taking comp days, and other assorted days off later.  That's the way broadcasting works. It's a 24/7 business, and working holidays comes as part of the package.  I'm still amazed that people don't get that, and it should be among the first things young people learn when they enter college.

It's odd to say, but I never minded working holidays.  It could be one of the reasons I've reached an advanced age and I'm still single.

When you are starting out, you do holidays because you get a chance to do things you ordinarily wouldn't do.  The first Newswatch 16 newscast I ever anchored was on a Christmas morning.  Before that, I took extra shifts on my college radio station and again when I arrived at WARM.  Yes, the extra large paycheck was nice, and a tiny, tiny piece of my cold, cold heart felt good working so people who loved the holiday could spend it at home.  I also took extra shifts when I was part time at my first television station.

I've thought about it long and hard, and I'm trying to figure out when I turned against the holidays.  I still can't come up with an acceptable answer.  I guess some people are just  born without the holiday gene.  I'm done beating myself up over that one.

You just can't look at working holidays as a chore.  Once you fall victim to that, you're done and you are going to be miserable.

If you are working at the holidays-- retail, first responders, military, broadcasting, emergency services, food service, medical, corrections, etc...  Thank you and an early Merry Christmas!