Monday, March 13, 2023

A Milestone

 

Regular blog readers know I love radio, especially radio news.  Few things thrill me more than turning in to a well produced, well delivered network radio newscast.

The "World News Roundup" on CBS Radio turns 85 today.  It was the first to feature correspondents, stationed across the globe, reporting for the same newscast.  There was no shortage of material for those first 35 minute broadcasts.  World War II was approaching.

As the years passed, the "World News Roundup" became shorter and shorter.  I think it's down to six minutes now, with very few stations carrying all six.

Radio has changed quite a bit, especially in recent years.  Those "on the scene" correspondents have been replaced with clips from television news broadcasts.  That's unfortunate.  So much television reporting is lacking because the reporters don't write for the ear.  Description is lacking because the pictures tell the story.  There is shockingly little context.

If that isn't enough, I don't think there are any CBS Radio affiliates where I live.  I have to get by with the internet feeds of all news stations from big cities.

Looking on the bright side, I'm happy the "World News Roundup" is still around.