Friday, March 17, 2023

Follow Up Friday

 

Revisiting a few topics from recent days...

Thank you for all the kind Facebook comments about coanchoring the Monday morning broadcast and being out in the snow Tuesday.  I tried to answer as many as I could, but I couldn't keep up.  I guess that's a good thing.  I appreciate it.  Also, thank you and welcome to all the new followers.  By the way, I hate the word "follower."  Couldn't Facebook come up with something better?

I recently noted how Jim Nantz of CBS was doing his last NCAA basketball tournament.  Greg Gumbel of CBS said this week that he is stepping away from the NFL broadcasts.  He is 76 years old.  Gumbel was blasted for some weak efforts this season.  I don't know.  I didn't see or hear them.  However, 76 seems like a good time to move on.  Gumbel will never be known as one of the industry's greats, but he always produced a solid effort and I like him.  He is also the first person of color to call a Super Bowl on TV and that is a major accomplishment.

Ten episodes of the new "Night Court" have aired.  Three have been OK, and I'm being kind.  I'm out.

Monday is the spring equinox.  Snow in late March and April is not uncommon.  We'll get at least one more storm.

I use sports talk radio as a pleasant diversion from the real world.  The genre has some bad weeks, like around the holidays when all the top tier talent is on vacation.  The other is underway right now.  NCAA bracket discussions bore me to tears.

A chain of four local newspapers announced it's giving up on producing a print edition on Mondays.  The change takes effect next month.  #sad.

Scranton's Gerry McNamara is staying with the Syracuse University basketball program.  #happy.