Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Media Wednesday

 

I'm not a movie guy.  In fact, I haven't been to a theater since 2012, and I don't stream anything.  However, it was nice to see Brendan Fraser win the Academy Award for best actor Sunday night.  He was great in several "Scrubs" episodes and I enjoyed him in "Bedazzled," "Blast From the Past" and "George of the Jungle."  Yes, they are all comedies, but as Fraser proved in "Whale," he can do drama.

Speaking of "Scrubs," I watched a marathon the other day, on one of the cable channels, even though I have the series on DVD.  I'd forgotten how well written it was.  Great characters.  Compelling stories.

A sample of a radio station with artificial intelligence voices recently made it in to my "in" box.  While I will always be a "live and local" guy, the sample was amazing.  If no one told you the voices weren't real, you would never know.

I was listening to a radio station from the eastern shore of Maryland the other day.  It carried a network sports talk feed, but there were local news and weather updates.  Friends, that's the way to do it.

This will get an entry unto itself down the road, but the new "Night Court" weakens with every episode.  There was huge potential here.

TV news isn't as easy as it looks.  I have a great deal of respect for the reporters and photographers covering the weather problems out west, and it's refreshing to see Mr. Drama from the Weather Channel isn't part of it.

Speaking of the Weather Channel...  Early Tuesday morning.  Massive snow storm approaching the east coast.  Millions impacted.  And the Weather Channel had a "reality" show about surviving a fall.

I'm not gloating.  It makes me sad.  Newspapers in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton and Pottsville drop their Monday print editions next month.  It's on-line only.  Management cites inflation and a changing advertising climate.  In other words, fewer businesses are buying print ads, and classified ads dried up years ago.  The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre dropped three print editions when the pandemic hit.

CNN hired two new executive producers for a morning show.  Everyone knows what the problem is.

CBS sold the studio complex known as "Television City" five years ago.  New owners say there will be massive renovations, and "The Price is Right" is getting kicked out of its home of more than 40 years.  The production company found new space in Glendale.  I'm sure the show will look slightly different in the fall.  I've read where there is a huge demand for studio space because of all the new streaming productions.  A studio building spree is underway.

The NCAA basketball tournament is underway.  This year will be the last for Jim Nantz of CBS.  He will continue on the network's NFL and golf coverage.  Nantz is as solid as they come.  Ian Eagle becomes the top basketball announcer for CBS next year.