Saturday, May 1, 2021

About the Cover: Slow Ride

 

When it comes to shooting moving water, I like the fast shutter speeds so you can see every bit of motion, every bubble, every wave, every drop.

I seem to be in the minority.

Most photographers favor the slow shutter speeds, so the moving water takes on a smooth, silky,  and milky appearance.  I tried it at the Lackawanna River at Peckville a month ago, with underwhelming results.

You see, when you leave the shutter open on a sunny day, the photo gets overexposed, no matter how much you choke down the aperture.  


The solution-- get a filter, a version of sunglasses for your camera.  It allows less light in to the camera, so you can keep the shutter open longer.   I used my new filter for the first time a few weeks ago at a waterfall in Honesdale.  By the way, why did I never know this was here, and I've been in this part of Wayne County dozens of times?

The filter works nicely, and I will admit that I need more work with it.

It really doesn't take long to get the desired effect.  In the top photo, the shutter was open for five seconds.  In the middle photo, it was open for 1/5 of a second, and in the third, the shutter was open for six seconds.

You'll see the opposite, next week, in this very space.