Friday, June 25, 2021

49

 

This week marks the 49th anniversary of the Tropical Storm Agnes flood-- the one that swamped areas up and down the Susquehanna River, including the Wyoming Valley.

I'll save most of my thoughts for next year and the 50th anniversary.  I am really looking forward to seeing a documentary currently in production.

A couple of quick notes...

There are sleepless times, spent staring at the ceiling, wondering how I became what I became.  Radio really stepped up during that horrible week and I was glued to every appliance we had.  It likely played a role in how I became what I became.

People around here are very weather conscious, and I think Agnes clearly is a factor.  Hurricanes and tropical storms always have a place in newscasts I produce, even if they will not affect our area.  People have a curiosity about big storms.  Tracking them fascinates me, and I think most viewers are the same way.

I saw an interview with friend and former coworker David DeCosmo the other day.  He had a front row seat to Agnes.  David noted that some people moved away and never came back after the flood, but a lot of people stayed, cleaned up and rebuilt.  That, in and of itself, tells you about the strength of the people here in our area.