Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Gym Rat

 

I waited a long time for this.

My gym closed when the pandemic hit last year.

After the lock down, it re-opened, but with limited hours.  10 pm closing.  Overnights, when I attended, were out.

It finally happened.  Earlier this month, 24 hours, at least during the week, returned.  There was much rejoicing.

The occasional bike ride offered some physical activity, but the bike was mothballed for the winter and this spring hasn't been the greatest.  It was either too cold or too wet.

Not much has changed during my sixteen months away.  Same mediocre wi fi.  Same lousy audio on the televisions.  The place was always spotless, and that hasn't changed.  Some staffers remain.  There are new faces.    I forget the combination to my padlock.  Luckily, I had it written down and found it in a desk drawer.  Some of the overnight crowd gave up their memberships during the lock down, and they told me they are not coming back.  I get that.

Me?  My endurance isn't what it was when the pandemic hit.  However, it is better than I thought.  So far, I've been splitting my time between the ellipticals and the bikes.  I've been staying a little longer with each visit.  I haven't done the weight lifting machines yet.  I'll get there.

Since this sorry situation started, we've been hearing a lot about a return to "normalcy."  I don't think things will ever totally be the way they used to be.  The ability to go to a gym at 1 am is an important step.