Monday, February 28, 2022

Port Jervis and Me

 

I've devoted a few blog entries this week to Port Jervis, NY and trains.  My association with the city goes back a very long way.

From where I live, it takes about an hour to get there.  And there would be a couple of pre Christmas trips every year, starting more than forty years ago.

Port Jervis is basically where PA, NY, and NJ meet.

Back in the day, Pennsylvania liquor stores were simply awful-- horrible, sterile places, with a very limited selection.  NY and NJ stores were under private ownership.  It meant a better selection, with some unusual finds, and it was a great place to pick up Christmas gifts and alcohol for holiday parties.

Family and I would travel east on Interstate 84, stock up, and sneak back across the border with our purchases.

I haven't made one of those alcohol runs in eons, because Pennsylvania liquor stores have stepped up their game in recent years.

I intend to visit Port Jervis to see its new railroad historical site.  I'm sure there will be a liquor store visit to check out the selection.