Monday, February 21, 2022

Presidents Day

 

When I'm asked about news stories that I remember most, this one is always on the short list.

I was on the radio in the 80's.  It was Presidents Day, not a particularly busy day.  I decided to drop in to an arcade at one of the malls and ask young people why they had the day off from school, and what the day means to them.

The young people were very talkative, but sadly, very few knew it was Presidents Day.  To make it worse, even fewer cared.

The story sticks out, more than 30 years later, because I was shocked at the apathy, and disappointed Presidents Day apparently was not part of the curriculum.

I shudder to think of the responses I'd get if I attempted that story today.

As I say on just about every holiday, please remember what the day is all about.