Thursday, April 28, 2022

Farewell

 

By the time you read this, most of the building you see above will be gone.  It's the old Sacred Heart High School in Carbondale.

The school closed in 2005.  Some of the Sacred Heart family attempted to open a new school down the road, and it just didn't work/

This was a failure on so many levels.  The diocese was on a school and church closing spree, and it's sad they couldn't make this work.  The closing forced students to travel several miles if they wanted to attend Catholic school.

The building itself was allowed to rot.  And that brings us to where we are, with a soon to be empty lot.


Graduates have fond memories of the place, and I envy that.  All I remember about my high school was the soul crushing experience it provided, and in decrepit buildings.  One of my major regrets was not being around when my most hated building was demolished.

Graduates, remember that it was just a building.  The memories can't be taken away.

 The new owner has yet to release his plans for the site.

I'm sorry the Sacred Heart story doesn't have a happy ending, and I cannot escape the nagging feeling that this didn't have to happen.