Wednesday, April 20, 2022

First Person: Snow Day

 

The best laid plans, once again...

There was serious snow in the forecast.  Meteorologists Valerie Smock and John Hickey started talking about the possibilities over the weekend.  They were right.  The higher elevations would get a lot of snow beginning Monday night.  The rest of us would receive a soaking rain, just what we needed, he says sarcastically.

Tuesday, I was slated to do some internal things at the office.  That changed with a text from the boss late Monday afternoon.  Staffing was being juggled.  I was to grab my boots, hats and winter coat and head to Freeland early Tuesday morning.

No problem.  While reporting on snow can be a lot of the "same old," this storm was different.  It was in the spring, after Easter.  Buds were on the trees.  Road crews had unhooked the plows.  This storm had a real newsy hook.

I don't know who made the call to send us to Freeland.  Regardless, it was a wise decision.  The amount of snow depended on elevation, and there are few places higher than Freeland.

My station arrival time was 2 am.  Photographer Erich joined a few minutes later, and it was then the trip to Freeland.  The drive was slow, but I've been in worse snow situations.  It was really coming down in Freeland, plus there was a frisky wind.

Erich and I made it through Newswatch 16 This Morning and a couple of updates in Good Morning America.   Team effort-- Mindi Ramsey and Joe Snedeker at the office, Courtney Harrison and photographer Bonnie in the hills of Wayne County.

There is a balance to covering snow.  If it's not a crippling storm, you can provide useful information and have a little fun at the same time.  My coworkers understand that.

It was then off to talk to Freelanders about coping with a spring time snow.

As Geoffrey Peterson used to say on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, "good town, good people."  We made the rounds in the borough, doing interviews, making friends, and it was a good time.

The job was only half over.  Erich and I drove back to the office to craft something for our noon broadcast.  I had the story written in my head on the return trip.  It was just a matter of listening to the interviews, picking out segments and getting a script in to the computer.  I do like working with Erich.  We are usually on the same page.  I told him what I wanted, and where I wanted it.  He made it happen.  Erich was already thinking that way, anyway.

The story aired in its designated slot, and my day was done.  I really looked forward to the short ride home and an opportunity to get out of wet clothes.

By the way, noon Tuesday also marked the start of a week off.  More on that, later.