Monday, August 29, 2022

Is That All There Is?

 


My alma mater, Marywood, recently updated its web site and it looks good.  Before I continue, I liked it there and enjoyed my four years.  It's a fine school.

Something in the "about/location" section of the web site sticks in my craw. and here it is, lifted directly from the web site.

Yes, Scranton is home of "The Office"...and so much more!


I'm sure high school students looking to choose a college base their decision on a stunningly unfunny sitcom that went off the air when they were barely out of diapers.

It's time for not just Marywood, but Scranton, to move on.  Yes, the sitcom brought the area some minor notoriety for a few years.   The mines are closed.  "The Office" is off the air.  It's over.

If the best you can do is put "The Office" in your headline, it's time to think harder about the area's assets and the dated, tired message that you are sending to young people.