Thursday, August 18, 2022

The Write Stuff

 

There are weeks when I can come up with several blog topics at the same time, and there are weeks like this one.  I come up with one idea per day, and they haven't been all that great.

I've always envied and admired writers.  During my courthouse reporter days, watching the print people bang out complicated stories with looming deadlines was simply amazing.

I have a carefully selected old sitcom addiction, especially "Barney Miller."  I loved how the writers were able to craft such great characters and give them awesome lines.  The early days of "MASH" were like that, too.  "Drew Carey" will not go down in history as one of the great shows, but it delivered dependable laughs every week.  I will never forget how Drew's friend, Tony, referred to the public transit bus he was driving as a "rolling box of nasty smells and busted dreams."

News requires a different skill set.  Simple.  Direct.  Accurate.  Speed.  News was once described as "history caught on the fly."  Oh, how I wish I said that first!

I might not produce any memorable lines, but I walk out the door at the end of the shift very happy if you learned something new.