Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Get Away Days

 

In college, it was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

In high school, it was the day before Thanksgiving.

Both are major getaway days.

In adult life, you get away when you can, and thanks to email, you are really never away.

High school had its own feel, and it was so nice to close the books and look forward to an extra long, five day weekend.  We had Monday after Thanksgiving off for deer hunting season.  Only a few of my friends engaged in the sport and I didn't understand why an entire school district had to shut down.  I would have preferred an earlier end to the school year in June, but hey, a day off is a day off.

The college break was a little shorter.  I loved how the campus could be rocking on Tuesday and be a ghost town on the very next day.  We "townies" remained behind to keep the college radio station running.  It was when the hard core radio people took over.  I missed my friends, but I also did enjoy the campus quiet, including an abundance of good parking spaces.  It was a nice atmosphere.  Me, my microphone and all those albums, spinning the hits as people enjoyed the holiday.  I miss that.  Radio has a wonderful intimacy that is really lacking these days.

I was lucky. My family understood I was pursuing what I really enjoyed,  and I did make sure to spend some quality time with them on the holiday.

Get away, but don't get too far.