Wednesday, January 19, 2022

First Person: Buds in the Wind

 


It was something I hadn't done in more than a year-- report live on a snow storm.   This is a screen grab from Monday morning.

I was live outside our newsroom on Public Square in downtown Wilkes-Barre.  I am very fond of using that facility early in the newsroom.  It offers a place to get warm between live shots.  The chairs are more comfortable than sitting in the car,  and it has a bathroom.

At least in the valley cities, it wasn't much of a snow event-- only a few slushy inches.  However, the wind really was a factor for a while.  A banner flew off the storefront of our new neighbor, a cannabis shop called 3 Buds.  Photographer Erich Granahan retrieved it as it took off down the block, and I used it to illustrate the power of the wind.

You can also see my thermometer, bungeed to a pole, at the right.  The temperature was warming up, and it was a visual aid.  There are no bank thermometers on the square. 

It was nice to get out of the office for a little while, even if I had to stand in the middle of a winter storm.