Friday, August 11, 2023

Any Way You Slice It...

 

The Subway sandwich chain is trying to reverse its fortunes by upping its meat game.  The meat is now sliced in stores, rather than shipped in pre sliced.

I think I've addressed my feelings on Subway here before, but let's review.  I'm not in love with the chain, but I do like it.  It's a way to get a decent sandwich, relatively fast, and consistent.  The "economical" days are long gone.

It's the same order on every visit-- turkey and swiss, all the vegetables, and just a quick shot of oil and vinegar.

Curiosity got the better of me the other day, even though I wasn't really hungry.  I wanted to see if the freshly sliced meat made any difference.

At least on my visit, the meat wasn't sliced to order.  It was sliced and waiting in a bin, like the old days, with the slicer prominently displayed on the counter.  You eat with your eyes, and the turkey that made its way on to my sandwich did look a little better.  However, if you blindfolded me, I couldn't tell the difference.

It was a decent sandwich, not a great sandwich.

The vegetables are still on the very tired side.  Tomatoes didn't have flavor.  Cucumbers were dry.  Olives were mushy.  The peppers seemed old.  I know Subway prides itself on consistency, but there has to be a way to improve the vegetables here.

And, here is a factor that makes a major difference.  Some restaurants are a lot cleaner than others.

Freshly sliced meat is a nice start.  This chain has a long way to go.