Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Old Man Says...

 

I will admit there are times I feel old, tired, and jaded.  The emotion occasionally strikes during hurricane coverage.  My heart goes out to the people stuck in the storms, but after a while, every hurricane looks the same.  The coverage has the same elements-- sandbagging, boarding up, evacuation, the supermarket and home improvement store rush, wind, flooding, aftermath...

But, Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hilary simply fascinated me.  It was the first big storm to hit California in more than eighty years.  I couldn't get enough.  California gets strange weather.  A tropical storm and inches of rain is new territory.  The company that owns WNEP also owns a TV station in San Diego, so I got to look at their video over the weekend.  I couldn't get enough.

While Hilary was bad, it could have been worse.

And, that brings me to part two of today's saga.  

I was listening to network news radio coverage of Hilary.  Sad to say, it consisted of snippets of television news reports.

I've done radio.  I've done TV.  There are a few similarities, but they are very different.  I should know.

Whatever happened to boots on the ground?  A story like this cried out for radio news reporters, painting word pictures of what they saw, what they were experienced.  Sad to say, there aren't many solid radio reporters left these days.  Management's commitment to radio news is waning.

The listener suffers.