Monday, August 21, 2023

Great Expectations

 

I'm up early, even on my days off.

I woke up around 11 Thursday night.  My ritual includes firing up the iPad to scan the latest headlines, and tuning in a big city all news radio station for the rest.

I noticed a line of thunderstorms marching across the state.  They looked severe.  I've seen worse.  Apparently, so had the National Weather Service because it hadn't issued any watches or warnings in my area.  Estimated time of arrival, 3 am, and I looked forward to it.  It was warm and humid.  The storms would provide blessed, albeit temporary, relief.

The storms arrived.  A few booms and flashes.  No big deal, but enough to frighten the cat.  It was over in a few minutes.

The temperature on my remote back porch thermometer dropped from 75 to 70.    Five degrees is five degrees.  I hoped for more.

I really should add that the storms did create some major flooding issues in central Pennsylvania.  The line of thunderstorms apparently lost their oomph by the time they reached my neighborhood.