Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Condimentally Disturbed

 

I will start by saying that if this is my biggest problem, life is pretty good.

I ran out of my favorite barbecue sauce the other day, so it made it on to my supermarket list.  One big chain didn't have it.  I tried another.  Ditto.  Nothing.

Now, this is a national brand, made by a huge company.  It's not too sweet, not too spicy, not too smoky.  It actually won the competition on that overly fussy and increasingly annoying tv show "America's Test Kitchen."

By the way, ATK, stop making people jump through a thousand hoops to watch the show on-line!

I digress.  Both supermarkets I tried had other sauces made by the same company, and a long line of bottled sauces in general.

It has already been established here that I am "that guy."  I write letters, email and snail mail, good and bad.  I fill out surveys.  I never suffer in silence.  Conversely, if something good happens, I also let people know.

I shipped off an email to the multi national conglomerate that makes the barbecue sauce.  The response is below.


We'd like to be able to appropriately respond, but in order to research your inquiry, we need the specific UPC (Universal Product Code) for each product you are inquiring about. If you do not have this information, please send as much information as you can including the brand and flavor.


How do I know the UPC code if the product is out of stock and I threw away the old, empty bottle?  I named the brand in the original email.

Yes, somebody gets paid for a response like this.

I did what I should have done in the first place.  Amazon.