Friday, August 18, 2023

Media Friday

 



CBS News is getting a new president.  From what I've been reading the past few months, this is a good thing.  As someone who grew up with Walter Cronkite every evening at 6:30, the problems at CBS make me sad.

To all the companies complaining about AM radios dropped from new cars, I haven't seen you do anything to improve the band or your programming.  Case in point, an AM station in Detroit fired its live and local talk show staff this week, in favor of network sports talk.

Will there be any winners once the Hollywood strikes are over?

I've read where contestants' row in the new "The Price is Right" studio will be level with the stage.  Oh no!

The producers of "Wheel of Fortune" replaced Vanna White during a recent tiff.  It seems to me that someone is overestimating her value, but Vanna should monetarily share in the success of the show.

Words cannot express the joy that I feel listening to Casey Kasem shows from the 70's Sunday mornings on satellite radio.

Amazon Prime just stopped featuring old "Barney Miller" episodes for free, so it's back to the dvd's for me.

In writing news stories over the weekend, I still can't get used to "Syracuse Mets."  They are the Chiefs and they always will be the Chiefs.

Once again, the power of the NFL astounds me.  It's pennant chase time in Major League Baseball, and all radio hosts and callers wanted to talk about over the weekend was meaningless pre season football games.

"Barbie" has brought in more than $ 1 billion box office dollars around the world.  Think about that for a moment.

I was watching some old game show clips the other day, as I often do.  "Family Feud" was never one of my favorites, but watching Richard Dawson in his prime is amazing-- the way he handled the contestants and the audience.  

CNN is blowing up its lineup-- again!  I think I'm like most people.  All the opinion based programming has me worn out.  Just do the news!

I've seen some media hysterics during Maui fire coverage, but for the most part, the reporting has been compassionate, fair, and responsible.

Ohio State fans are in full whine mode because the Maryland game will be streamed, and not available via free TV.  Friends, when college conferences and pro leagues sell their souls to television, this is what happens.  Get used to it.