Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Media Tuesday

 

Did you ever watch an episode of an old television series and wonder how it stayed on the air so long?  "Alice."

One of America's great radio stations, all news KYW in Philadelphia, added an FM simulcast several months ago.  It no longer mentions AM 1060, and that makes me sad.

There is one reason for all those colleges jumping conferences:  television money.  If anyone says anything different, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Some industry trade publications/web sites report several streaming sites are struggling.  I'm not surprised.  There are too many.  There will be a shake down process, and only the strong will survive.

I'm not going to see "Barbie."  I'm not going to sit through three hours of tortured "Oppenheimer."  Still, it is nice see people going back to theaters again.

By the way, I haven't been to a theater since July of 2012, and I can't say I miss it.

One of the joys working for a big company like Tegna is the ability to look at video from other stations in the chain, and incorporate it in to our newscasts.  WNEP's parent company has several stations in the south-- Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia...  This has been the summer of  excessive heat.  For my co-workers there, it's just another day at the office.  They haven't really done a lot of heat stories.

As for the writers and actors strike, I wish them well.  Everyone deserves fair compensation and some job security.  However, I have yet to hear anyone say they miss new episodes from Kimmel, Colbert and Fallon.

Whatever Tom Hamilton makes to broadcast Cleveland Guardians games, it isn't enough.  He's outstanding.