Friday, August 25, 2023

Business Friday

 

The few times I visit WalMart, it's usually at opening time, 6 am.  No crowds.  In and out fast.

By the way, WalMart management, if the sign says you open at 6, you open at 6.  Not 6:05, or 6:07.  Chances are, if you are at WalMart at that hour, you are not shopping for funsies.

An exasperated shopper, not me, angrily asked the clerk if WalMart will ever go back to 24/7.  The clerk, who opened the door late, said nothing.

I later encountered that woman in an aisle.  I commiserated with her.  We really miss the old days, pre pandemic, when getting a few necessities was much easier.  I said the 24/7 days are never coming back.  There is the labor crunch, and too many stores are losing too much inventory to too many shoplifters.  We both noted at how many items are now under lock and key.

That brings me to an ancillary item.  The management at Dick's says it's laying off some employees because they are losing too much to theft.  I'm sorry the employees have to pay the price for the degradation of society.  What's happened to us?  If the issues at Dick's are that bad, perhaps there should be security guards at the door.

I regularly see social media posts from police departments that patrol big retail areas.  It seems people think nothing of loading up carts and simply walking out the door.

It makes me sad.

On an unrelated note, American Express used to be the gold standard for customer service.  It took me three days and several attempts to change my password.  On-line was no help.  The person who answered the phone was also useless.  What happened here?

Back on the 16th, I whined about two major supermarket chains not having my favorite bottled barbecue sauce.  I saw it at a regional chain the other day.  Too late.  My Amazon order arrived long ago.