Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Reality Bites

 

The very first season of the television show "Survivor" ended on this day in 2000.  "Survivor" is given credit for kicking off the reality television show craze.

I never watched it.  Zero interest.  Actually, below zero interest, if there is such a thing.

Thanks to the writers' strike, you will see a lot more reality and unscripted shows on television this fall.  It's a big yawn from me.  It's just not my genre.  Bachelors and bachelorettes looking for mates does nothing for me.  I don't care about cooking competitions and contests for the best decorated Christmas house.  Dancing with the Sharks?  The list goes on and on.

You will see a few more game shows on the network schedules this fall, and in my book, it's a good thing.  There will be prime time versions of Jeopardy, Pyramid, The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal and a few others.  Once again, there is plenty of time to fill while the writers and the actors walk the picket line.

Change is good, but I think people will turn away from the major networks and head to the streaming services to find their scripted comedies and dramas.