Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Invasion of Privacy

 

It was among the worst days I've spent in the news business.

It was mid 90's and I was working at another television station.  The news director sent a photographer and I to what used to be known as Mercy Hospital in Scranton.  Former Governor Bob Casey was staying there for a medical issue and we learned he was about to discharged.

The photographer and I staked out the hospital exit for hours.  Finally, the former governor and former first lady emerged.  The photographer and I approached, and Mr. Casey said a few words, looking tired and thin-- like he just got out of the hospital.  You could see Ellen Casey was a bit annoyed at the invasion of privacy and I didn't blame her.  She took the high road.

I know when you become a public figure, you do lose some privacy.  However, this was a bit much.  I didn't like being there.  We shouldn't have been there.  Not to be disrespectful, but there wasn't much news value to the story.  The Caseys should have been left alone.

Ellen Casey died Friday.  She was 91.  Mrs. Casey always seemed, at least to me, to be a reluctant public figure.  She supported her family and I respect that.

I will always remember her for some extreme patience on a cold hospital sidewalk.