Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Concentration

 

One of the earliest television memories I have is sitting on the couch with my mom, and watching the TV game show "Concentration" in the 60's.

"Concentration" was an NBC mid morning staple for years, and I enjoyed it, even though as a tot, I wasn't very good at it.  It was visual, and fun, and the half hour flew by.

The show is tough to describe succinctly, but "Concentration" was a memory game, where you have to match prizes to uncover clues on a giant puzzle board.  Solve the rebus, and win the game.

While "Concentration" had several versions over the years, it's been off the air for a very long time.   I still play, and here's how.

The latest round was early Monday morning.  It was pouring, thanks to the remnants of Tropical Storm Ophelia.  In "Concentration," you had to remember the numbers that hid the matching prizes.  In my round, you had to remember the locations of the potholes on Scranton streets.  You couldn't see them because they were filled with Ophelia water.  Olyphant Avenue, Boulevard Avenue, and South Washington Avenue are especially bad.  I kept waiting for Hugh Downs to appear.

How did I do?  I didn't win a car, but I arrived at work with my car still in one piece.  I only hit one pothole, and it was a glancing strike, at best.

I managed to control my anger and take advantage of my "Concentration."