Monday, September 18, 2023

You

 

I'm hooked on those satellite radio rebroadcasts of those old Casey Kasem "American Top 40" shows from the 70's and I've told you that before.

My favorite part of the show is 40 to 20.  That's where you hear the big hits on their way down, and some songs that were very good, but never reached the top tier.

I was listening to an episode, a couple of weeks ago, from September of 1978.  Guest host Larry McKay introduced a song from the great Rita Coolidge.  It was called "You."  I thought to myself, "I don't remember that one."  That was, until I heard it.

The words didn't come back, but the melody did-- along with Coolidge's fantastic voice.  "You" is a bit on the disco side, and that's okay-- even for a kid who was only about a year away from becoming a long haired rock and roll disc jockey, and yes, we did play discs in those days.  Not all disco was bad.  September 1978 was the start of my senior year in high school.

A little research made me feel better.  I didn't remember "You" because it didn't get a ton of airplay.  It made it as high as 25 on the Top 40 chart, but 3 on the adult contemporary chart.  For those of you unfamiliar, it is just what it sounds.  Songs that appeal to a slightly older crowd.

As you might have guessed, Alexa is probably tired of me asking her to play it.  In spite of it all, she never fails.

The moral of today's story is this is just another example of the power of music, the power of radio, and the memories they inspire.