Friday, November 24, 2023

Black Friday and the Steelers

 

Today is Black Friday, one of my least favorite days of the year.

It's filled with crowds, hustle, bustle, excess, and stress-- everything I hate.

Black Friday isn't what it used to be.  Many stores start Black Friday type specials and sales before Thanksgiving.  The internet also chipped away at the crowds you will see in stores this year.  One year, we will no longer refer to this day as "Black Friday."  It will simply be what it once was-- the day after Thanksgiving.  No work.  Football.  Relaxation.

As I always say, if you enjoy the day, go for it.  If you can save a couple of bucks battling the crowds, be my guest.  I know people who treat Black Friday as a family fun event, and I admire your pluck.

I'll safely be watching from home, and we'll visit again tomorrow.

Before I hit "publish" for the day, you might remember I was always a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.  I gave up on the team after they signed Michael Vick as a back up quarterback several years ago.  I was done, and I recall saying "I hope they never win another game.  Ever."  That is still true.

It's why I found this week's Pittsburgh problems most entertaining.  Offensive coordinator Matt Canada was fired after half a season of mediocre performances.  People are beginning to realize Kenny Pickett is no Terry Bradshaw.  The odd thing was they saw Ben Roethlisberger was aging, and they did not prepare for the future-- until it was too late.  They were stuck with Pickett and Mason Rudolph.

While head coach Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season, the Steelers haven't won a playoff game in seven years.  It's a safe bet to say the streak will go to eight.