Friday, November 10, 2023

Veterans Day Weekend and Marywood University

 

Is there an observance on the calendar more important than Veterans Day?

Tomorrow is the day set aside to honor those who served.

There will be no lecture from me, other than to say please say "thank you" and remember what the day is all about.

It's another year for the Marywood University tradition of establishing the "Field of Flags."  It's one flag for every life lost in recent conflicts.

The field is behind what was called the Fine Arts Building back in my day.  It seems more cramped this year.  The flags are closer together than I've ever seen here.

There is no problem with the North Washington Avenue site, but I thought the display had a bigger impact when it was up on the main part of campus, across from the Liberal Arts Center.  The flag display moved several years back because of construction of the monstrosity called the Learning Commons.  There is plenty of green space up that way now. Move the flags.

Be that as it may, I'm always very proud of my alma mater when it takes time to honor veterans.