Wednesday, November 22, 2023

JFK 60

 

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated 60 years ago today.

I was 23 months old at the time, so clearly, I don't remember it.  As I grew a little older, I was like most kids.  I saw things through the eyes of my parents, and there was always profound sadness when the Kennedy name came up.  It became even more difficult after Sen. Robert Kennedy was shot to death in 1968.

I believe I'm like most people.  A curiosity about that day in Dallas remains, and I wish the government would open ALL the files and be done with it already.  Another part of me just wants the Kennedy family to be left alone.  They've suffered enough.

The Kennedy record will be debated until the end of the time.  He was in office at one of the most turbulent times in American history.  Kennedy had an ability to inspire, which few politicians had.  There were complaints Kennedy was slow to move on civil rights, and his foreign policy left a lot to be desired.  Kennedy is also blamed for getting the United States deeper in to Vietnam.  He had a commitment to the space program.  You know how I feel about that.  Astronauts were heroes at a time when we really needed them.

You can't help but wonder what the world would be like had JFK completed a second term.