Friday, January 19, 2024

A Cold Anniversary

 

Sunday is the 30th anniversary of the coldest day ever recorded here in our area.  On January 21 of 1994, it hit 21 degrees below zero at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport.

Yikes!

I was working "down the street" at the time.  Our usual morning reporter asked for a long weekend, long before the forecast, and I was drafted to fill in.  No problem.  I always enjoy working mornings.

Our big stories that day were a group of pro life advocates taking a bus trip to Washington, Scranton's mayor appearing on the Don Imus radio show, trash collectors working in the bitter cold, and a large water main break on Penn Avenue in Scranton.

We put most of our efforts in to the water main break.  Water was gushing up from the street and freezing instantly.  Plus, hats off to the guys who had to get down in a frozen hole to fix it.  TV technology was a lot different then.  We needed cables to connect the camera to the live truck.  Wires and connectors kept snapping in the cold.  We were down to our last cable, and it was a short one.  It meant to get the water main break in the shot behind me, I had to stand in a snow bank up to my knees.  The things I do for viewers!

It was an uncomfortable morning, but a satisfying morning.  And, I'm happy to say I was a part of history.

Finally, just for the fun of it...  Let's pick some football games.  It's Divisional Playoff Weekend in the NFL.  I'm taking all four home teams:  Baltimore, Buffalo, San Francisco, and Detroit.

If Kansas City loses, sell your stock in Paramount.  CBS really wanted a Dallas/KC Super Bowl.  Dallas has the national following.  KC has a Taylor Swift following.  I can't see how they'd be thrilled with a Rust Belt Super Bowl of Detroit and Buffalo.