Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Scrapple New Year

 

THOUGHTS I'VE BEEN COMPILING FOR A FEW WEEKS...

I haven't been in a movie theater since July of 2012, and none of the holiday selections enticed me.  The French Revolution is fascinating, but I don't see how "Napoleon" can be any fun.

Today's offering in the "remember the lyrics, even if you haven't heard the song in years" is "Gone Too Far" by England Dan and John Ford Coley.

Speaking of music, I detested the television show, but the Partridge Family's music was pretty good.

Yes, it's schmaltz, but Dan Fogelberg's "Same Auld Lang Syne" is a masterpiece, it it still takes me back to the old WARM 590 control room in Avoca.

I'll have a few words on the Smothers Brothers, and the passing of Tommy Smothers, later this week.

January is the toughest weather month of the year, in my view, but you can already feel the days getting a wee bit longer.  Having said that, I'm already seeing predictions for an upcoming weekend storm.

Hey, we're already through the first month of meteorological winter, and the half way point is in sight!

I'm not complaining, but doesn't it seem like every recipe begins with onions?

Deion Sanders is Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the year-- a college coach, an educator of young men, who did not know the location of Mount Rushmore.

Guy Fieri and Ryan Seacrest both signed huge money television contracts late last year.  It boggles the mind.

McDonald's is putting more sauce on Big Macs.  They already have too much!

The construction of a green bell pepper fascinates me.

Your true character shines through with the way you react to bad situations.  Patrick Mahomes.    

Even though the name and the Pittsburgh headquarters will remain, US Steel is not in US hands, and that makes me sad.  In fact, the number of foreign controlled "American" corporations is frightening.

"I stashed the bill in my shirt" is one of the greatest song lines, ever.

Did our newsroom really need multiple emails from PennDOT, saying drivers' license centers would be closed on Christmas?  Did anyone really think, "Hey, it's Christmas morning.  I think I'll get my license renewed."

I am not a Dallas Cowboys fan, but I did feel pretty good for former head coach Jimmy Johnson over the weekend.