Friday, January 26, 2024

Charles Osgood

 

I'm sorry it's taken me a couple days to get to this, but I had to yammer on about the weather and New Hampshire first.

CBS News legend Charles Osgood died Tuesday.

When Charles Kuralt retired as anchor of "Sunday Morning," CBS chose Osgood-- someone older than Kuralt, and Osgood held the job for 22 years.  Osgood also spent some time anchoring the old "CBS Morning News."  That was back when the networks did actual news in the morning.

Osgood had warmth, charm, and charisma.  As I've said here many times, you can't teach that.  You can't bottle that.  Having noted that, I thought Osgood's best work was in radio.

Charles Osgood anchored top of the hour newscasts on the CBS Radio Network.  He also did short daily essays called "The Osgood File."  Great delivery.  Great voice.  He could make things cute and interesting in a minimum amount of time.

I should note that Osgood always considered himself a radio guy who went in to television rather than a television guy who started in radio.  I've stolen that description for myself.  His famous sign off was "I'll see you on the radio."

In my book, Charles Osgood was a God because he said "Short words, short sentences, short paragraphs.  There is nothing that can't be improved by making it shorter and better."

Amen!

Osgood's college degree was in economics.  He said he got in to broadcasting because it looked like fun.  He was right.

Charles Osgood was 91.