Saturday, January 6, 2024

Andy's Angles: The Cardinal

 

I am convinced animals know things.  I've had dogs and cats who were exceptionally affectionate and clingy when I was going through tough times  It was always great to see an especially waggish tail, even as I arrived home form work or a similar event in a state of despair, and you have no idea how often that happens.

The cardinal above isn't real.  He was hanging from a branch, in a tree, at Nay Aug Park in Scranton just before Christmas.

It has been said cardinals represent the souls of the departed, who come back for a quick visit.  My family was experiencing an unexpected and sudden loss in October 2020 when a cardinal appeared in a tree, adjacent to a front picture window.  My mom and sister were in the room with me at the time, but I'm the only one who noticed him staring through the window.  He was there for a good ten minutes, not moving, his gaze fixed through the plate glass.  He then flew off to visit others left behind, I presume.

I'm a science guy, and I wanted to pass this off as a merely curious bird, taking a break, on a fall morning.  Somehow, it seemed more than that.  Much more.  I know we see what we want to see, and I wanted to see a little hope.

Mr. Cardinal made my day.