Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Really?

 


I hope someone can explain this to me.

I had some business in downtown Scranton Monday afternoon, on the Martin Luther King, Jr. federal holiday.  I wondered if the parking "meters" would be enforced on a federal holiday.  This is what I turned up on a visit to ScrantonParking.com

  • Meter Parking 8am-5pm. There is no enforcement on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
MLK Day was made a federal holiday in 1986.  Juneteenth became a federal holiday in 2021.  How could the group that runs Scranton parking observe one, but not the other?

I wasn't going to make a "federal case" out of it.  I paid the $3 to be on the safe side, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.

That's Scranton!

By the way, I emailed the company that runs the city's garages and meters.  If and when I receive a response, you'll be the first to know.