Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Up All Night with Melanie

 

If you count my college radio time, I've been working late nights, early mornings and overnights for almost 45 years.  Luckily, I save time by knowing all the back roads and side streets.  I can even pronounce Sans Souci and Nanticoke.

Be that as it may, you find little tips and tricks for staying alert at work when the rest of you are sleeping.

My current repertoire includes getting up occasionally and walking the halls, going outside for a few lung-fulls of fresh air, and a good stretch.  I don't go heavy on the caffeine, but I do stay hydrated.  Water.

A big part of the routine is clicking over to You Tube and listening to a song for a moment.  It starts the functioning of a different part of your brain, and it's refreshing.  I have a couple dozen "go to" songs.  It's mostly stuff from Gerry Rafferty, Robert Palmer, ELO, the Beatles, Tom Petty, a few 60's hits, etc.

My play list includes "Lay Down" by Melanie.

The woman had a voice.

Melanie died last week.  She was 76.

Melanie Safka, thanks for getting me through the night.