Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Business Wednesday: TMG

 

By the time you read this, the former TMG Health building in Jessup will be gone.  I took the photo you see above early in the morning of December 21st.

Long story short:  This building is only 11 years old.  11!!!!!  TMG was sold.  The new owner liked people working from home, and there was simply no need for the office space.

It's surprising on one take, and a yawn on the other.  

It surprises me that there is no market for a modern office building.

It's a yawn that an empty lot is more marketable than a building.

No matter how you view it, it's sad.

In a similar vein, our friends at CNN recently reported that the company that recently purchased four local newspapers has grabbed more than 30 Greyhound bus stations across the country.  Once again, the real estate is more important than the buildings, and I'll have more to say on that soon.

Back to TMG...  As I stood there on a windy, but sunny winter morning, I thought about all the changes in the American economy that made a relatively new building expendable.    The pandemic pushed ahead things that were likely to happen anyway.

By the way, this was my first time up this way in ages, and I was shocked by all the new development.