Saturday, January 20, 2024

Andy's Angles: Not a Creature Was Stirring

 

There is something sad, yet oddly satisfying about a college campus on holiday break.

This is a shot at the University of Scranton on the day after Thanksgiving.  It was just the two of us-- and squirrel and me.  Yes, it's not the greatest shot, but the little bugger scampered away as I approached.

I went to college just up the street, at Marywood, and being on campus during holiday breaks was not uncommon.  We had a radio station to run, and there was no automation back then.  No computers.  We needed bodies.  Granted, it was a short broadcast day, 1 pm to 1 am.  It only took two or three of us, per day, to keep the hits spinning.

The holiday radio station atmosphere was enjoyable.  The only other bodies I would see would be the occasional classmate, and the security guards dropped in from time to time to make sure we were okay.  There was always a relaxed vibe, and that became even more apparent during holiday breaks and summers.

I still work more than my share of holidays, and I was at the television station on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning a few weeks ago.  I've been lucky, but there are still times I long to put a Billy Joel album on a turntable somewhere.