Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Final Four

 

I nailed my picks on three out of the four divisional playoff games last weekend.  I might have hit on all four, but there was that "wide right" in Buffalo.

Conference Championship Sunday will be a lot tougher.

First up, it's Kansas City at Baltimore.  KC gets 3.5 points.  I wasn't impressed with Kansas City last weekend.  Baltimore didn't turn it on until the second half of its game versus Houston.  While it's hard to bet against Patrick Mahomes, I'm taking Baltimore and giving the points.  It's going to be close, but Baltimore wins and covers.

Detroit visits San Francisco in the evening.  Neither team blew me away last weekend.  San Francisco struggled in the rain against Green Bay.  Detroit was good, but not great, in its game against Tampa Bay.  The Lions are one of the "feel good" stories of the season.  It is one of three teams never to reach a Super Bowl.  Houston and Cleveland are the others.  The streak continues.  The Lions are getting seven points.  San Francisco wins, but they don't cover.  Bet the Lions and take the points.

This year's Super Bowl will be a rematch of the 2012 game, which Baltimore won by a field goal.  Who wins?  We'll climb that mountain when we get there.

The game sounds like a yawner to me, but I do look forward to the run-up in Las Vegas.  It should be fun.