Tuesday, January 9, 2024

First Person: Winter Storm

 

It only happened for the third time in my 25+ years at WNEP.  I stayed at the hotel next to the station.

The boss emailed me Friday morning, asking if I wanted a room.  The forecast was still on the iffy side, but more bad than good, so I took the news director up on her offer.  Thank you!

There are plusses and minuses.  I don't sleep well in hotel rooms, but if I stayed home, I probably wouldn't have slept, anyway.  It was due to the anxiety of wondering how the drive to work, in a snow storm, would be.  I have an all wheel drive suv that's great in the snow, and there has never been a problem before.  Still, I erred on the side of caution and it really wasn't an error.  The roads were pretty bad Saturday night.  Where I live, and in Moosic, there was a combination of snow, rain, and sleet.  Not good, and the drive to work, even if it was only eight miles, would have been an adventure in terror.

Thanks to the staff at the Hampton Inn, who swung an early check in for me.  You can't hit the normal 3 pm check in time and still expect to get enough sleep to work an overnight shift.  They're good people.


As for my weekend work shifts, meteorologist Ally Gallo nailed the forecast on Saturday and Sunday.  Reporter Melissa Steininger showed us the snow covered and slippery roads in Monroe County during live reports Sunday morning.  Storm reporting isn't all fun and games.  Our eastern counties appear to have been hit the hardest.  I fear our crews will be back at it this week, with flood potential, and then more snow on the way.

As I was checking out of the hotel Sunday morning, I told the desk person that even though I enjoyed my stay, I hope I don't see them again for quite a while.