Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Election Day

 

Well, it's finally here.  It's election day.

Polls open at 7 am.  They close at 8 pm.

Me?  I crafted some preview stories a couple of weeks ago.  The i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.  All that can be done has been done.   I did write two new ones so we can preview one of the hotter state house races on Newswatch 16 This Morning.

My day will go something like this-- introduce the preview races on Newswatch 16 This Morning, keep my ear to the ground, check turnout, work on our noon broadcast, vote after work, lunch, and a long nap so I can be up to watch the numbers roll in tonight.

I'll likely post some updates and thoughts here today.

Watch this space tomorrow for a little analysis.  I have my ideas as to what will happen.  As always, I'll tell you when I'm right.  I'll tell you when I'm wrong.  Keep in mind, it's possible we won't know all the winners tonight.

Please, vote today.

>>>3:15 AM UPDATE:   After coordinating with producers, we made some changes on the fly.  That's election day for you.  Regular blog readers will remember I always started election day with a fast food spicy chicken sandwich and fries.  Well, the pandemic put an end to that.  The fast food restaurant is no longer a 24 hour operation.  I settled for a chicken salad sandwich and Diet Pepsi in the kitchen at midnight.

>>>9:00 AM UPDATE:   I spent the morning at a polling place in Moosic, Lackawanna County.  There was a line of about 15 when the polls opened at 7 AM, and it was a steady stream after that.  Opinion:  moderate to heavy turnout this morning, and we are hearing the same things from other polling places around the area.  There was a glitch here this morning and some votes didn't go through at the beginning.  It was quickly remedied.  Rep. Matt Cartwright voted at about 8:15.  We chatted afterward.  Typical Cartwright.  Cordial and factual, but reserved.  You will hear parts of that interview on Newswatch 16 at Noon.  Colleague Elizabeth Worthington spoke with Cartwright's challenger, Jim Bognet, and you will also hear that at noon.   For me, time to get ready for the noon broadcast.

>>>10:45 AM UPDATE:   Anecdotal evidence, but I will offer it up nonetheless...  Lackawanna County polling places appear to be on the busy side.  Wyoming County, not so much.  Luzerne also busy, and my sources out west say Union County polling places saw a brisk business this morning.

>>>11:30 AM UPDATE:    Phones and email going nuts.  Problems at several polling places.  We're working on it.  Details at noon.

>>>12:45 PM UPDATE:   Newswatch 16 at Noon is in the books, solid from top to bottom, and it was a major team effort.  I have a little more paperwork to complete, and my day is done.  Well, not really.  I'll be voting before I head home, and I hope you do the same.  Thanks for being part of the ride.  There could be some updates here later in the day, and a little analysis tomorrow.

>>>2:15 PM UPDATE:   I was voter 164 at my small town polling place.  Not awful.  Not great.  The poll workers called turnout "good."  I do not vote in Luzerne County, but if I lived there I would be demanding answers.  Duplicate ballots mailed out.  Some voters didn't receive even one.  Not enough paper in the machines today.  Why is there always a problem, every election, every year?