Tuesday, February 6, 2024

A Geezer Moment

 

I can appreciate the music of my elders-- Sinatra, Bennett, the crooners, and the big bands.  The 50's grease/do-wop stuff is great fun.  I'm still aggravated that Jon "Bowser" Bauman was in Scranton a couple of years ago, and I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Pop music became less appealing to me during the Madonna era of the 80's.  I will admit to liking some 90's and 00's stuff, but not much.  I cringe when the Red Hot Chili Peppers come on the classic rock station.  That stuff is more rap than rock to me, and I can't dive for the dial fast enough.

While I like the music that came before me, I just can't stomach the contemporary stuff, and sad to say, that includes (Dare I say it?)  Taylor Swift!

Swift seems like a perfectly nice woman, who treats her fans with respect--  the fans that spend hundreds of dollars for a seat in a giant arena, to watch the show a mile from the stage.  Swift won another box of Grammy's Sunday night, and that's great for her and her fans.  Swift announced a new album is coming out, and thank you for the warning.

By the way, Swift's romance with Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs is absolutely adorable.

I don't understand Taylor Swift much the same way people didn't understand my Billy Joel fixation when I was in high school and college, and much the same way those slightly older than me adored The Beatles.

To each, his own.  This is the real no judgement zone.

I still don't get it.