Sunday, February 4, 2024

Andy's Angles: #Sad, Half Baked

 

My job has its advantages.  I get to wander off in pursuit of interesting things, and many of them hit close to home.

As I say often, I needed to get out of the house Tuesday morning, so I grabbed photographer Tim and we set out to the enchanted land of Dickson City.  As we've established here, I grew up one town away.  Dickson City was the site of my junior high school, and there are plenty of memories in the borough.


An email tipster told us the old Chvotzkin's Bakery on Jackson Street was being torn down.  Indeed it was.  It was a frequent junior high school lunchtime stop.  I vividly remember the apple and cherry turnovers, and assorted other delights.  Danish!  A very kind elderly couple ran the shop.  Great proprietors.  Great baked goods.  Who could ask for anything more?

The bakery closed years ago, and the Chvotzkins are long gone.  Stopping by to see the rubble made me sad, nonetheless.  This place made people happy.  It's gone.

The front building, the actual retail part of the operation, is still standing.  I think it was a laundromat for a while.  It's apartments now.

After getting some video of the demolition, Tim and I stopped by the Dickson Borough office to talk with the people there and check some facts.  Everyone was so kind, and I enjoyed the reminiscing about the borough's past.

I'll think of Chvotzkin's the next time I have a turnover.  It won't be the same.