Monday, February 5, 2024

Monday Scrapple

 


First, a sad note.  Bob Folmar died last week.  He was an engineer at WBRE for many years, and Bob was always great to me.  I extend my sympathy to Bob's family, his work family, and his friends.

While there is still a lot of winter left to go, it's nice to say it's February.

My interest in the NFL has waned considerably over the years.  I will admit to enjoying the hype leading up to the Super Bowl.  Las Vegas is a great venue.  Outstanding visuals.   However, I will be worn out by Thursday.

UPS is trimming its payroll by 12,000 people.  Friends, that is frightening.  More than 500 journalism jobs disappeared last month.

It seems like McDonald's is in the news about some weekly menu tweak or improvement.  I will admit they are marketing geniuses, but it all tastes the same to me.

The Baltimore Orioles are being sold for $1.7 billion dollars.  While the team is coming off a few good years, present ownership left a lot to be desired.

I was a huge Billy Joel fan in high school and college.  I still listen to tracks from "The Stranger" on a regular basis.  Having said that, his new song does absolutely nothing for me.

Movie reviewers Siskel & Ebert used to say that if you have a good villain, you have a good movie.  Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed in the "Rocky" movies was a good villain.

Today's entry in you know the words even if you haven't heard the song in years is "Calendar Girl" by Neil Sedaka.

David Letterman's You Tube takes on Taylor Swift are hilarious.

Macy's is closing stores and firing employees.  When I think of Macy's, one word comes to mind:  beige.

I know there is a lot of winter left, and it's likely we'll get some big storms.  Still, a sunny and relatively mild weekend didn't hurt.

If San Diego built a new stadium, it would have hosted a Super Bowl at least every five years.

Doesn't it seem like we've waited too long to attack the local gang problem?

I'm so tired of the store self service debate.  Keep them, or dump them.  Just do something!