Friday, February 23, 2024

Insomnia Advantage

 

I couldn't sleep very early Thursday morning.  My usual remedy is to sample some things on the radio and check email on my iPad.   Something made me turn on the television, which I rarely do.

I stumbled upon an episode of "Frasier" from 2000.  It was the final show of season seven, and it was called "Something Borrowed, Someone Blue."  Long story short, Daphne and Niles finally confront their feelings for each other.  Daphne runs away from her wedding to Donnie, and Niles whisks her way in an RV.

Wow!

I hadn't seen that particular episode in several years, maybe since the original aired, and I was blown away at how everything worked-- the visuals, the acting, the writing...

Watching Niles, played by David Hyde Pierce, go from the depths of depression to absolute euphoria was stunning.  Rare are the sitcoms that can make you cry and make you laugh in the same half hour.  "Scrubs" had that ability.  The list is extremely short. 

There really is no moral to the story today, other than this.  We all spend a lot of time complaining about television, especially me.  It was refreshing to see something that touched me, even if it's 24 years old.